Well today was very interesting for me more so than for the kids. Today was decision day for all those who were screened. So we went to the hospital and there some people there waiting for us that were locals. The majority of the other people were at a local shelter. The team quickly split up. Some went to set up the OR, some worked on the medical records and others of us went to tell the patients if they were selected. Garrett and Celia worked with some others to get charts ready and make id bracelets. I helped the group inform people if they were selected or not. So I went to the shelter while my kids stayed with the others back at the hospital. It was a little chaotic at first but I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Everyone was pretty calm, I guess I expected some very upset mothers/parents. Most of the shelter people were selected so there was only a small group who the Child Life Specialist, Miguel, spoke to explain why they weren't chosen. There was one mom in my group who was crying a little and when I asked her why she was crying she looked at her son, who was about 15 & was also teary-eyed, and she said he was nervous. I told her it would all be ok and that he was fortunate to be picked, she agreed. It was another scoorcher today so being at the shelter for a few hours was rough, we couldnt find some people and so they had to be tracked down which took awhile. Anyway back at the hospital, the kids were reading some of the files. One of the questions is why do you think your child has the deformity and the answers were very interesting! Some said it was God's will, others said solar eclipse and others and had no idea! They got a kick out of those answers! We met back at the hotel where I quickly showered and we went back to the shelter with the high schoolers. We were going to talk to some of the American Nicaraguan high schoolers who were here helping out from Managua. They exchanged ideas for fundraising and awareness. Garrett met Gabriel and JP who were sons of some influencial people in Managua who are big Ops Smile supporters. They quickly hit off and started playing soccer with some of his new friends he met on the screening days. Celia and the high school girls hung out playing with some of the little kids at the shelter. We then went to a birthday party for one of the biggest supporters of Ops Smile in Nicaragua, Jaffa. She lives on this huge plantation of 50 acres that are enclosed in a compound and who knows how much more outside the walls. It was gorgeous! We had a big pig roast, dancing and toured the grounds. Overall a great evening. Well tomorrow we are off to the beach for our day off! Check back soon! Still having an amazing time! Miss you all!
-Crissy, Garrrett and Celia
PS. Thanks for all the comments, we love to hear from you all back home!
Dear Crissy: Saturday sounds like it was a very busy and interesting day. I'm glad you had the party at the Plantation, as a well-deserved distraction. Mele (France) told me she wrote a comment, but I haven't seen it. Maybe it didn't go through. We have electricity back but this is literally Siberia. Deborah Ct. and Drive untouched. JJ sends his love and we both continue to be so proud of all three of you! LOVE MOM
ReplyDelete